Horticultural Media Association Victoria Incorporated (HMA Vic) was formed in 1994. It provides an opportunity for people engaged in the various forms of the horticultural media to meet together to enhance and develop their roles as media professionals.
While some presenters and writers are employed by large media organisations and have ample opportunity to network with colleagues, many work in isolation – that is, they are self-employed, often working from home-based offices with little day-to-day contact with others in the same field. HMA Vic Inc has been very effective in bringing media people, including writers, radio and television presenters, photographers and others in associated fields, together in an enjoyable and rewarding way.
HMA Vic has an elected committee which meets monthly.
Several functions are held throughout the year to give members opportunities to network and to hear presentations from various representatives of the horticultural and allied industries. Professional development seminars are also offered. An atmosphere of fun and bonhomie is always part of any HMA Vic activity.
Aims and Objectives
1. To provide an avenue of mutual contact and communication for members of the horticultural media.
2. To encourage and assist in maintaining a high level of integrity within the horticultural media.
3. To maintain a Code of Ethics for members.
4. To foster a closer working relationship between the members of the horticultural media and the horticultural industry for the betterment of gardening.
5. To provide information to members as to where advice can be obtained on matters of professional concern, such as copyright, contracts, professional legal and financial matters, and specific aspects of horticultural relevance.
6. To provide a forum where items of mutual concern or interest to members can be discussed.